This cross was posted last Easter and was one of Churchill County Museums most shared photos.
Fallon’s Old Rugged Cross. The first mention of a cross on Mt. Toyeh, aka Rattlesnake Hill, was in 1924. That first wooden cross was destroyed by vandals in 1954. A second, built in 1966, met it’s demise via a chainsaw in 1973. Today’s cross was raised by the community in 1976: “Steel was the answer,” suggested by Skip Harrigan who helped design the new cross. Getting it up the hill, though, was a monumental task managed by NAS Fallon personnel and a Marine CH53 helicopter