The Fallon Sugar Beet factory stood at the base of Rattlesnake hill at the present site of the Churchill County Cemetery. Production at the factory was on and off between its construction in 1912 and its destruction in 1934. A fungus called “Curly Top” frequently caused local crops to fail and made it difficult for the factory to produce enough sugar to be profitable. After the factory had been decommissioned and scrapped for parts, a few local bootleggers set up shop in the empty building. They were later raided by federal authorities shortly before the buildings demolition.